Sunday, 17 December 2017

Range Rover P38 Bush wires (limb risers)

Somewhere to hang the washing....

After a foray into the undergrowth in my P38 quite early on in our “relationship”, I was lucky not to damage the windscreen as a tree branch came back and hit the screen with quite a “thwack”
The foray was at the old off road course at Billing - for those who know it, the old course runs up and down on a steep bank alongside a stream, and is almost entirely in forest, some of which is fairly dense – trees and the consequential threat to windscreen abound.

So being at Billing, during the show week, it seemed a great idea to buy a set of bush cables.
The problem with buying anything at a Land Rover show is that most decisions are generally made as a result of “shiny accessory syndrome” and as such are on occasions not the wisest bit of shopping.
So when the stall holder told me bush cables weren’t available for a ’38, my head decided on buying Disco 2 ones instead, the little voices inside convincing me that they were almost the same…as it turns out (and not surprisingly) they are not almost the same, in fact they are completely different, and they didn’t fit.

However, once home it became clear that the stall holder was indeed correct, bush cables for ‘38’s do not exist – universal sets that fit to roof racks and bull bars are available, but if your car is fitted with neither, then there seems to be nothing out there, and I was not going to fit a bulbar and/or a roof rack just to mount bush cables – I am not a fan of either.

So, it would appear the self-build route beckoned again. Un-deterred, out came the measuring devices and the sketch pad as there were one or two elements that needed consideration…

Keeping the MOT tester happy.
Stress and loading – the mountings and cable should not damage the car when under load.
If the mounts were fitted to the bonnet, would they impact the alarm system when under tension?
Opening/closing bonnet.

Aesthetics – I quite like the look of a ’38, so I did not want to ruin it.




At the front, the classical clamshell bonnet meant that the only place to mount the cables was, well, exactly there, on the bonnet.
Again in an effort to keep a profile pleasing to the eye, I made the brackets follow two of the edges around the castellation. They’re stainless and painted satin black, with a gasket to seal against the bonnet and stop any chance of corrosion.
For underneath, I made a steel plate fitted with rivet-nuts to spread the load further, and hopefully prevent any chance of distortion.

After some fairly serious abuse, the cables have performed well, with no problems - and when camping, they're great for drying muddy trousers.

No comments:

Post a Comment